08 April 2007

Compromises

Currently reading: Amazing facts about Australian landforms by Allan Fox, with photos by Steve Parish (Steve Parish publishing)

Well, we went shopping yesterday, and two of the three cameras we'd been looking at aren't available yet, so we ended up buying a cheap point-and-shoot-type camera to tide us over. Which means I can take photos again. Yay!

Then today we went to visit our son at scout camp. My husband wanted to go early, but our daughter wouldn't get out of bed, and I wasn't being very cooperative -- because I was writing! Which not only meant that I wasn't getting ready, but it also meant I wasn't doing my share of nagging Sleepyhead to get up.

The camp was a one-and-a-half hour drive away, and we didn't get there till well after 2.30 pm. Ahem. Yes. Well, at least this year said son wasn't worrying that we weren't coming, the way he did last year when we didn't turn up at about 10 am.


Scout camp



Sleepyhead, who has reached that age where she doesn't really want to do stuff with the family anymore, got to have a go on the flying fox and on the crate stack -- an exercise where the scouts wear harnesses and have to stake milk crates, vertically, and climb up onto them. It looks difficult as the crates sway and come unstuck pretty easily. They were told they'd get extra points for doing a song or dance on top, but neither of my kids made it. They both fell with about one crate to go. Never mind. I think in the end Sleepyhead was glad she'd made the effort and gone because she had a lot of fun -- plus gave us both a heart attack by crawling upside-down like a sloth across a climbing apparatus. Giving us a heart attack is always a bonus for her. She has ADD, and a history of doing dangerous things. Lack-of-fear is her middle name, and, boy, don't I have the grey hairs to prove it!


Crate stacking



Anyway, back to the camp: we saw a large mob of kangaroos bound past for the almost empty dam, and a couple of kookaburras.

I sprained my ankle about two months ago, and it's still quite dodgy, so had to be careful walking around, especially on the "road", which was really dust about five centimetres deep. Last year the road was hard ground. Not anymore. Sometimes you see the effects of the drought in unexpected ways. The scout leader told us that the local vintners are all draining the table water out of the land through their bores. I wonder what happens when it's all gone, when the salt rises. Sometimes I think we haven't learnt anything about living in this land.

No comments: