09 April 2007

Pearls before breakfast

You must read this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html?hpid=topnews

Spoilers ahead. Read the article first!

I found this link on Miss Snark's blog, and it sounded interesting -- a virtuoso violinist playing his Stradivarius as a busker on a metro station -- and, wow! It was long, and only the first video loaded for me, but -- wow! By the end, my eyes had welled up, the article moved me so much. And that's unusual for me. It's a fascinating read, and to say what it was that moved me would be to give too much away, but suffice to say what moved me was not the amazing number of people who didn't react, but those who did. Ah, and I've probably given too much away (hence I've added the spoiler alert). On the other hand, perhaps it isn't that unusual for me -- in movies etc it's often the "noble" things people do that move me. In this case, I was moved by those who did appreciate the beauty of the music, of the performance.

Human behaviour is a funny thing. This article has given me something to think about -- and really what more can any writer ask? To me, human behaviour, why we do what we do -- it's my quest to understand this that leads me to write fiction.

No comments: